The Grand Hotel began its life as Mildura Grand Coffee Palace in 1889. Mildura was planned as a temperance colony. The Chaffey brothers’ vision for Mildura was of a place without an ingrained drinking culture to distract working men from their duties. Meanwhile, next door the Chaffey offices were also under construction. These were very similar in design to their Ontario office. Much later these were demolished to extend the Grand Hotel, but the original fountain still remains. The Grand Hotel was not granted a full liquor licence until 1919. In 1989 it was purchased by the Carrazza family. Extensive renovations and extensions have taken place and a number of different venues added.