This beautiful house was built for W.B. Chaffey and building commenced in 1889. In that year, his first wife ‘Hattie’ died of pleurisy. He married again in 1891 to Heather ‘Hattie’ Sexton Schell, niece of his first wife. The house was completed in 1891 and the family moved in, in 1892. W.B. died in 1926 but his second wife lived on in Rio Vista until her death in 1950. At this time in was acquired by Mildura City Council for use as an art gallery. It is now part of Mildura Arts Centre.