The Mildura Club was first established at the Grand Coffee Palace in 1888 with Lord Ranfurly as first President. The original Mildura Club was modelled on British gentlemen’s clubs and membership limited to businessmen and professionals. The club went into recession after a couple of years. It was re-established in 1894 with W.B. Chaffey in the chair and granted a licence on 31 August of that year. In 1901, the club moved to the Mildura Cultivator building in Deakin Avenue. By 1918, the club had outgrown that premises and began plans for a new building on the corner of Deakin Avenue and Ninth Street. This was opened by W.B. Chaffey in 1920 who was the Mayor of Mildura until his death in 1926.